As 2013 opens I’m trying very hard not to focus on last year’s lack of accomplishments.
Some of the things I DID accomplish:
- Gained enough weight to be at highest weight EVER, including while pregnant
- Won disability case so I am what right-wing friends refer to as “free-loader”
- Spent so much time on Internet that I finally need bifocals
- Upgraded bra size to 38DD
- Distanced long-time friends due to my inability to censor liberal leanings on Facebook
- Watched 125+ episodes of Supernatural on Netflix (still not done????)
- Upgraded all pants to size 16 or higher
- Started shopping in plus size section more often than not
- Ruined Christmas by giving everyone stomach flu
I’ve left out some of the smaller things like going longer than anyone I know without washing my hair, wearing pajama pants for a week straight, going back to bed after taking my kids to school every day, and having every excuse known to man for not answering my phone.
Depending on your definition I suppose I actually accomplished quite a bit in 2012.
I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. I have some hopes for 2013, but they’re not huge because I’m kind of lazy and I’m kind of afraid of failure. I hope I can enjoy my children’s company more and complain about their messes and their noise a little less. I hope I write more, because I think its good for me even though some days it’s like pulling teeth and I don’t really want to. I hope I socialize more, because it’s also good for me even though sometimes the very idea of spending time with people makes me want to go into hibernation. I hope I can listen more and gossip less (I know, how does someone who avoids people gossip?). I hope I can express a few more feelings and eat–or buy– a few less of them. I hope I can appreciate my health instead of worrying about what might be wrong with me. I hope I say “thank you” more often. I hope I call my parents more. I hope I am less afraid of stupid things like bugs, and the un-dead, and being eaten, and ladders, and failure.
Happy New Year.